1 reading superficially or at random [syn: browsing]
2 the act of feeding by continual nibbling [syn: browsing]
1 shop around; not necessarily buying; "I don't need help, I'm just browsing" [syn: shop]
3 look around casually and randomly, without seeking anything in particular; "browse a computer directory"; "surf the internet or the world wide web" [syn: surf]
4 eat lightly, try different dishes; "There was so much food at the party that we quickly got sated just by browsing" [syn: graze]
- Rhymes: -aʊz
- To scan, to casually look through in order to find items of interest, especially without knowledge of what to look for beforehand.
- To move about while sampling, such as with food or products on display.
- To successively load hyperlinked documents on a computer, usually with a browser.
- In the context of "of an animal": To move about while eating parts of plants, especially plants other than pasture, such as shrubs or trees.
Translationsto scan, to casually look through in order to find items of interest, especially without knowledge of what to look for beforehand
to move about while sampling
to move about while eating parts of plants, especially plants other than pasture, such as shrubs or trees
- The shrub and tree parts eaten by browsing animals.
- In the Panhandle Area, bison eat browse that includes mesquite and elm. -- Texas Parks and Wildlife Service, 2007
Browser can refer to:
- An herbivore whose nutrition generally comes from high growing plants such as leaves, soft shoots or fruits (in contrast to a grazer.)
- A user interface on a computer that allows navigation of objects
- A person who explores casually, as in a store, a library, etc.
browse in German: Browser
browse in Korean: 탐색기
browse in Dutch: Browser
browse in Japanese: ブラウザ
browse in Kölsch: Brauser
browse in Russian: Браузер (значения)
browse in Simple English: Browser
browse in Slovak: Prehliadač
browse in Vietnamese: Trình duyệt web
batten upon, crop, dip into, fatten on, fatten upon, feast on, feast upon, feed on, flip through, glance at, glance over, glance through, go marketing, go over, go shopping, graze, live on, look over, look through, market, pasture on, peruse, prey on, run over, run through, scan, shop, skim, thumb over, thumb through, window-shop